Thursday, December 10, 2009

Monash Design


The last excursion for our class was to view the exhibition the 250 graduating students from the Design and Fine Arts undergraduate and honours students from Monash University's Faculty of Art and Design. It was a very interesting set up and due to the large amount of space they had to showcase their work was a bit intimidating and certainly put our exhibition at the Drum Theatre to shame, but upon closer inspection it really wasn’t all that impressive.

The first part of the exhibition I saw was the work of the architecture students. They had done designs for buildings outside as well as complete and to scale floor plans. These were supported with small mock ups of their designs which again put our exhibition designs to shame, however I am sure they have had more training than we have in creating models. I wasn’t a big fan of their designs, I found them to be plain, boring and have a bit of the “ post modern wank” feel to them, but I will give kudos to the students for the effort in their mock ups.

The next room that I really like was the room designated for the multimedia students. It was a dark room, with strobe lights and graffiti style stencils of space invaders, to me this resembled an illegal club/party in an alley way in the city. They displayed their final works which included filmmaking, interactive flash work, including a touch screen created in flash, and a film that was based on hoons, it was painfully stereotypical with crappy rap “music”, I am not too sure if they were being serious or just mocking them but it was funny wither way.

I was a bit disappointed in the design student’s exhibition. They were given the theme “Time, Space, Action System” and I feel that this was never properly explained, or the students were unsuccessful in portraying this in their work so it was plain for people to realize. I was also a bit disappointed in the students work, it was all very plain and minimalistic and there wasn’t an awful lot of colour, mainly black and white work. Seeing this exhibition has definitely made me proud that I chose TAFE over university, the designs were all pretty much the same and there was no diversity amongst the designs. It’s almost like they were told that one style was good and they have repeated it to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment